At Chommies we love to celebrate! This easy dog cake is perfect for any occasion - birthdays, halloween, easter or just a casual Friday. A great baking project to include your children, as all the ingredients are human grade, they can even lick the spoon!
2 large eggs
1/2 cup raw almond butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup sheep's milk
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
2 large shredded carrot
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
600g potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
1 cup plain sheeps yoghurt
| To make the cake;
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 160C fan assisted.
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm cake pans or if you prefer to make cupcakes, grease a muffin tin with vegetable oil.
Whisk together eggs, almond butter, oil, honey and milk until smooth.
Stir in grated carrots. Then add flour and baking soda, stir until just combined, don't overmix.
Divide batter between the cake pans or muffin tins, spread and smooth surface.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool on racks before frosting.
To make the fluffy frosting;
- Boil or steam the potato until very soft.
- Whip potato and yoghurt with an electric beater until fluffy and smooth as possible. Use a potato ricer if you have one on hand to create a super smooth consistency.
- Use a little warm water as needed to loosen frosting to soft spreadable consistency.
- Frost the cake whilst the potato and yoghurt mix is warm, it "sets" when it cools.
Decorate the cake with dog friendly treats. We like using dried liver sprinkles and our dogs' favourite biscuits.
- Do not use it in place of a complete meal - this is a treat for a special occasion to celebrate. Use your discretion and how your dog responds to certain foods, when feeding.
- All the ingredients are dog friendly.
- Serve the cake the same day as you “frost” it, as the mash cracks when refrigerated.
- The cake layers can be made ahead of time and even frozen.
- Only use edible toppings, no sharp objects, like sticks and plastic.
Do not leave the cake unattended, a naughty dog will eat half of it (yes this has happened)
- Adapted from Recipetineats
Be sure to tag us @chommiescom if you make this recipe.
We would love to see all our happy Chommies enjoying their cakes.